TotSchool2

Isaac is 29 months

Miriam is 11.75 ;) months

This past week (like normal) has been quite a crazy week.  We had VBS at church Sunday evening through Wednesday evening, and then my parents also came in on Friday evening to celebrate Miriam’s first birthday a little early.  We worked on the letter “A” this week, and even though we didn’t get through all the activities I had planned, I can confidently say that Isaac can recognize and and say the sounds of the letter “A”.  I had debated whether to work another week on this letter and at first had decided against it because I knew he had caught on.  As I am now in the middle of another crazy week, where our mornings have been busy doing other things, we will do a few more activities for “A” and start on “B” next week.  (All my printables are ready to go!! Hooray! )  As my husband says, Repetition is learning. . . so we will be doing a little repeat this week ;-)

Foam Bath Letters

 DSCF6601

We use these weekly, normally a few times a week!  The kids love them! We sort by color, put them in alphabetical order, call out the names of the letters, etc.  When they get a little older, I can call out the name of the letter and they can search for it.  So many things we can do with these!

 

We Love Magnets!!

DSCF6603 

Isaac and I worked on using the magnets to form the letter “A”.  I also showed him that the black side was the magnet and it went down on the paper.  He was too cute . . .After that, he would turn the magnet around until he found the black side and then put that side down!  He’s a quick learner!

DSCF6604

All printables this week were from Erica’s Letter of the Week Curriculum!

Letter of the Week badge

Playing with Pom-Pom’s

Isaac discovered that there were much more fun ways to use the magnetic Pom-poms than mom had planned on. ;-)

DSCF6714 

It is a lot more fun to dump them all out, look at the pretty fluffy colors, and use the plastic container as a hat. 

DSCF6716

They also make especially good ear-plugs.   

DSCF6719

And then if you really want to, you can put them on the page to make a Letter “A”.

Let’s Color 

DSCF6723

 

DSCF6724

Coins in a Jar

DSCF6732

I got this idea from Nicole, another Tot School mom. I cut a slit in a plastic container lid and we brought out the coin jar I keep on the kitchen counter. 

DSCF6734

After a while Isaac decided it was easier to just put them back in the glass jar ;-)

DSCF6735

 

Differing Opinions

DSCF6741

I brought out our pocket chart and some matching shape cards. I had made the cards out of a bulletin board border that I got at the Dollar Tree.  The idea was to have Isaac match them up, but he wasn’t real interested in doing that.  I would talk through it with him as I matched them up and he would take them back out of the pocket chart :-P

 

DSCF6743 I had pulled out this “A” sorting game where you sort the capital letter from the lowercase letter.  As you can tell from the pic, we got through it, but Isaac was wanting to play with the magnets that were sitting on the table ;-)

Have I mentioned how much he loves magnets?

DSCF6744

Here he is with his magnets again.  On this particular occasion he preferred the block magnets to the pom-poms.  So we were putting the “squares” inside the “circles” to make the letter “A”.

DSCF6745 

Even with our crazy schedule this past week I really felt that Isaac learned a lot and we had fun doing it.  My mom, not knowing we had been working on the letter A, asked Isaac on Friday to find the letter A among our fridge magnets.  He immediately found the A and handed it to her.  Love it!

To see what other moms are doing in Tot School this week, check out the official Tot School site!